House fire caused by candle

December 19, 2013

The Sweetwater Fire Department responded to a fire on Silas Street this week. The fire was caused by a burning candle. Occupants of the home escaped without injury.

Firefighters responded to a house fire on Silas Street in Sweetwater around 11 p.m. Tuesday night. According to the Fire Chief Grant Madden, as well as the owner of the home, the cause of the fire was a candle that was left burning throughout the night.
According to Chief Madden, the owner of the home says that her power was turned off and that is the reason why she had candles burning. Before she went to sleep, she blew out the candles with the exception of one.
She and her grandchild were the only people in the home and they both escaped without injuries.
According to family members, the owner of the home is the sole caretaker and provider for her grandchild. The home was a total loss and there was no insurance on the home.

Saturday’s key district baseball game between Sweetwater and Big Spring had two changes Friday. The...
Highland won five events at its District 11-1A/12-1A area track meet Thursday while qualifying 12...
Three athletes each from Roscoe and Blackwell will be advancing to this week’s regional track meets...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes