- Special Sections
John W. Richardson, age 93, formerly of Sweetwater, Texas, died July 12, 2012, in McGregor, Texas. Graveside services were held at the Little Chapel by the Lake at Colonial Gardens Cemetery under the direction of Sullivan Funeral home at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 15, 2012. Interment was in Colonial Gardens Cemetery. Services were officiated by Rev. James Frazier.
Mr. Richardson was born Dec. 16, 1918, in Hallsville, Texas, to John A. and Ivie Hickey Richardson. He attended East Texas Baptist University, earning a B.S. degree in Business Administration in 1950. He was a veteran of World War II, serving as an orderly room clerk at the Cavalry Replacement Training Center in Ft. Riley, Kansas.
He married Lois Taylor of Marshall, Texas, on July 15, 1940. She preceded him in death on Feb. 22, 1985. He then married a sister of his first wife, Edith Louise Taylor in 1987. She preceded him in death in 2005. His parents, four brothers and four sisters also preceded him in death. Also a daughter, Susan Ann Richardson Gray preceded him in death in 2010.
John is survived by two sons, John Stuart Richardson and wife, Gilda of Marshall, Steve B. Richardson and wife, Sharon of McGregor and a stepson (nephew), Randall Taylor of Houston. He is also survived by four grandchildren, Sunday Richardson Flint of Austin, Sheri Hand of Hot Springs, AR, Stephanie McRae of McGregor and Samuel Richardson of San Marcos; 11 great-grandchildren; plus numerous nieces and nephews.
Mr. Richardson started his business career at the Western Auto Store in Marshall in 1947. After moving up the corporate ladder, he partnered with the late W.G. Allen as owners of the Western Auto Associate Store in 1956 in Sweetwater, Texas, located at 306 Pecan Street. In 1980, he purchased Bill Allenâ€™s equity and continued its operation until he retired in 1990. He enjoyed good relations with his many customers and developed life-long friends, whom he cherished.
Mr. Richardson was active in many community affairs, serving on the United Way drive for several years, chairman one year. He was a member of the Waco Lions Club from 1951 until 1955, at which time he moved to Sweetwater and joined the Lions Club there, and remained a member until his death. During a recent visit to the club, he was recognized as a Lion Monarch, having been a member for over 50 years.
He was a member of the First Christian Church of Sweetwater, serving as a choir member, a Deacon and an Elder. He will be dearly missed by all who knew him.
Online condolences may be offered at www.sullivan-funeralhome.com.