Local election to be held Saturday

Tomorrow, voters will head to the polls to vote on three different measures.Voters will be casting their ballots for Precinct 2 and 4 seats on the Sweetwater City Commission, the District 5 seat on the Sweetwater ISD (Independent School District) Board of Trustees, and the bond election for the Phase 4 Renovation and expansion at Rolling Plains Memorial Hospital (RPMH).For the city commission and school board elections, only registered voters who live in the respective areas can cast a ballot. All registered voters in Nolan County are eligible to vote for the hospital bond election.For the Sweetwater City Commission, incumbent Jim McKenzie is running against Miesha Hand for Precinct 2 Commissioner. Jeremy Wilks is challenging incumbent Jerod Peek for Precinct 4 Commissioner.Precinct 2 includes residents who live on the southeast side of town. Precinct 4 includes residents who live in the northeast side of Sweetwater.Appearing on the ballot the District 5 spot on the Sweetwater ISD (Independent School District) Board of Trustees will be Jana Hall and Danny Escobar. District 5 covers a small portion located on the northeast side of town.(Maps for these two elections have been uploaded on the Sweetwater Reporter Facebook page.)The projected construction investments for the RPMH renovation and expansion stands at $25.2 million. New construction would make up 21,286 square feet of the total amount, with the remaining 18,995 square feet being renovations.Election Day will take place from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday. Sweetwater Middle School will serve as the central polling place for all three elections.The City of Sweetwater wants to remind voters about the new voter ID law, which requires one of the following forms of identification before a person is allowed to vote. The ID is necessary even if a voter has their voter registration card on hand.The types of ID that will be accepted are:• Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS);• Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS; • Texas personal identification card issued by DPS;• Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS;• United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph;• United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph, or• United States passport.