National Influenza Vaccination Week (NIVW) is a national observance that was established to highlight the importance of continuing influenza vaccination, as well as fostering greater use of flu vaccine after the holiday season into January and beyond. NIVW is the week of Dec. 4-10, 2011.
The health department wants to encourage residents to use preventive actions:
• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, to avoid spreading germs.
• Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
• If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
• While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
• Get vaccinated for the flu
The Sweetwater-Nolan County Health Department will administer the seasonal flu vaccine to all ages on Wednesdays during regular immunization clinic. Immunization clinic is held every Wednesday from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. and the second Wednesday of each month until 6 p.m. To observe NIVW, everyone getting a flu shot on Wednesday, Dec. 7, will receive a tote bag and staff will do a presentation to the Lion’s Club on Tuesday, Dec. 13, about the importance of flu vaccination, good hand washing practices and adult Immtrac.
The health department will be closed on Friday, Dec. 23, and Monday, Dec. 26, for the Christmas holidays, and immunization clinic will be cancelled on Wednesday, Dec. 21.
Family Planning services are available through several funding sources. Services include pap smears, breast exams, pregnancy testing, methods of birth control and screening and testing for sexually transmitted infections. For an appointment call 235-2869.
For more information about the health department's services, visit their web site at www.nolancountyhealth.com .
The Sweetwater-Nolan County Health Department does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability or age.