BROADWAY BAPTIST CHURCH
We have all seen or done it. – You know, PULL when the sign says, “PUSH.” We laugh inwardly at ourselves and others while trying to be “cool” through it all. The other day I found a biblical principle here that I believe will help you through each day of this New Year. It is simply PUSH! We all admit that God is real, and even necessary, but do we believe He is enough? I want you to know that He is not only enough; He is more than enough. Here is an acronym for PUSH: Pray Until Something Happens! There is an old song that goes, “Just keep on praying till light breaks through.” When you don’t feel like praying, that’s when you need to pray. You need to pray until you do feel like praying! So when you find yourself struggling and wondering if God is enough, if His grace is sufficient, or if His mercies are new, just PUSH. Pray until something happens.
If you don’t have a church home, we would like to welcome you to come and visit us this Sunday. Our Life Groups, which is for all ages, starts at 10 a.m. Our morning service is at 10:50 a.m. and our evening service begins at 6 p.m. Come and let us be a blessing to you as we worship the Lord together.
EMMANUEL FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
We invite you to join us this Sunday at Emmanuel Fellowship Church! Our Sunday morning services are at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Both morning services are filled with the same warm fellowship, dynamic worship and life-giving messages, as well as top-notch children’s ministry and nursery care for children up to fifth grade.
January is a good month for new life! This Sunday, Pastor Eric will continue a New Year series entitled “Bringing Faith to Life!” Come listen to this week’s message as we receive a fresh word on how to see resurrection occur in every area of our faith! We will also be celebrating with many from our church family this month as they follow the Lord Jesus in baptism, so don’t miss this special time.
We look forward to launching the Spring Semester in our Life Groups this week! We have seven small groups meeting throughout the week, most of them on Wednesday evenings at 7 p.m. Check out the Life Group display in the church foyer or call the church offices at 236-9200 to find a group to plug into!
Our children and youth are also back in the swing of Wednesday evening ministry, beginning this Wednesday at 6:45 p.m. with a launch of their Spring curriculum. There’s a place for everyone, so come join the growth!
We also invite you to step into The Growth Central Bookstore when you visit EFC. It’s stocked with Bibles, study aids, devotionals, marriage and parenting resources, worship music, inspirational gifts, original art and fiction books — there’s something for everyone! The bookstore will be open between Sunday morning services, from 10:30-11 a.m. and 12:30-1 p.m.
For more information about the ministry of EFC, log onto the church website at www.efcsweetwater.com .
Faith Lutheran Missouri Synod
Faith Lutheran Missouri Synod is a small friendly congregation, located at 1607 Josephine. We welcome newcomers to the community or anyone interested in the Lutheran faith to worship with us. Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m. and worship is at 10:45 a.m. Interim pastor is Rev. Chester McCown.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
First Baptist Church invites you and your family to join us on this Sunday for Bible study, beginning at 9:15 a.m. for all ages, followed by the Sunday morning service which begins at 10:30 a.m. First Baptist Church is located at 213 East Third Street, next door to the Post Office. All are welcome. Your presence will enhance our worship experience and fellowship together.
New FBC T-shirts are now on sale as a fundraiser for Missions. These T-shirts are for the entire family and will be great to wear for future church and community events.
Spots are still available to volunteer to help facilitate our Children’s Church. If you facilitate a class for one month on Sundays during the morning worship
hour, you will find it to be one of the most fulfilling things you have ever done! Please call the church office for more information.
Fifth and sixth graders will have a movie night! All fifth and sixth graders join us on Jan. 26, at 7 p.m. for pizza and a movie.
The 2013 church calendar involves many exciting events. Growth Group sign-ups are coming soon. Women on Mission will be meeting once a month. Worship choir rehearsal will be at 7 p.m. on Wednesday nights. KidX will resume on Jan. 30 at 5:45 p.m. Bible Drill for third through sixth grade will be at 4:30 p.m. on Sundays. There will be many church-wide fellowships and assorted ministries. Please call the church office at 236-6348 to become involved.
We look forward to bringing in 2013 with you! We anticipate a blessed and joyous New Year as we share the good news.
For in depth information, find us on Facebook and check the website at www.fbcsweetwater.org .
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
First Presbyterian Church would like to invite you to worship with us on Sundays at 10:45 a.m.
This Sunday we celebrate the Baptism of our Lord. The lectionary is Isaiah 43:1-7 and Luke 3:15-17, 21-22. Pastor Kary’s sermon title is “A Baptism – Shaped Life.” The greeters this week are Buck Cason and Jo Thompson.
Visitors are always welcome at First Presbyterian Church; we hope you will join us. The church is located at 14th and McCauley. Adult Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m. Worship service is at 10:45 a.m. A nursery is provided for all church activities for children kindergarten age and younger.
• Installation and Ordination of Elders for the Class of 2015 will be on Sunday, Jan. 20, during worship.
• There will be a session meeting on Jan. 16, at 5:30 p.m.
• Presbyterian Women meet on the first Wednesday of each month. The business meeting is at 5 p.m. and the Bible study begins at 5:30 p.m.
• Choir practice is every Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
• Plarning will meet every Wednesday in the fellowship hall at 1 p.m.
• All committee meetings resume on the second Wednesday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
• Session meetings are on the third Wednesday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
You are welcome to join us for Sunday school at 9:30 a.m. and worship service is at 10:45 a.m., with a special guest speaker, District Superintendent Darrell Patterson. Worship assistants are Lisa Peterson serving as worship leader, Brenda Alexander leads the congregational hymns and plays the keyboard, pianist is Eugenia Hill and our greeter for the month of January is Jenene Taylor. We are pleased to report that Pastor Claude’s recuperation is progressing very well and he plans to return on Sunday, the 30th of January.
Committee meetings scheduled for January:
• Finance committee meets Sunday, Jan. 13, at 2 p.m.
• Evangelism committee meets Monday, Jan. 14, at 7 p.m.
Looking at a map of the United States, it is apparent that the flu is running rampant across the nation approaching epidemic proportions, effecting all ages. “Bless This House” asks prayers for God’s healing power, as well as the caregivers that are ministering to the sick.
You are always invited to join us at 1801 Lamar Street, sharing in our vision of making Disciples of Jesus Christ, growing spiritually, fulfilling our God-given gifts, witnessing to others and ministering to ones in need.
WORD OF GOD CHURCH
Transforming ordinary people into passionate followers of Christ through God’s Word, growing them into mature Christians, to be Jesus’ lights in this world and witnesses of the Gospel of Jesus and the Kingdom of God, seeking the lost for the glory of God and His kingdom.
We are a non-judgmental ministry — meaning that the ministry itself is not judgmental. We are not concerned where you have been or where you are at, but where you are going. Everyone needs hope and to feel the love of God’s mercy. Those who falter and are weak are welcome. We will guide all that come, into a direction for peace in their life.
The teachings from the pulpit are deep rightly divided truth as 2 Timothy 2:15 speaks of. You will hear the unadulterated word of God ministered straight from the Bible. Introducing deep truths and promises you can stand on, that will never crumble out from underneath you. These truths have discipled many to be followers of Christ as it can do for anybody. Opening up the eyes and ears of these who receive.
• Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m.
• Thursday night from 5:30-7 p.m.
• Sunday night is youth hangout for 11-17 year-olds and Children’s Rock night for 5-10 year-olds. Adults are welcome to come fellowship with the youth.
• Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. is teen and tween youth church, pastor led for 11-17 year-olds and children’s classes are for 5-10 year-olds.
• T.A.G. and Tween’s — These ministries are for 11-17 year-olds. They have youth church on Wednesday night. There’s praise and worship performed by them. Then the pastor brings a message of truth to seed in their lives that is in a way that they can understand and comprehend. They also have Sunday night hang out, doing all kinds of things and events with each other in the youth ministry, from movies to playing volleyball at Sonic or cookouts and other things. They get involved with fundraisers to raise money for their events. They have the Reaching Out While Reaching Up ministry that helps people around town. They have The Rock as a place to hangout before and after church time. There is summer camp at Extreme Camps that they have a blast at while deepening their faith.
• Children’s Ministry — Wednesday night there are classes set up to put a foundation of God’s word in the children’s life with a fun and enjoyable environment and experience. There is lots of love, guidance and good values seeded into their lives. They also have Sunday night fun at The Rock. Those children that come on Wednesday night classes get to come on Sunday night to play at The Rock youth center during regular adult discipleship. Sometimes there are movies, games and snack night. They also get involved in fundraisers and summer camp.
• P.U.R.E. Ministry — Ephesians 1:4 Princesses Under Royal Election meets every third Friday of the month. The ministry teaches young ladies their value to God by being a child of the King loved by their Father, coming under a covenant with God to keep their purity until marriage. It is even for those who want to start over.
• The Rock youth center opens Saturday night from 6-9 p.m. for sixth, seventh and eighth grades. A Christian atmosphere presented, but not forced. It is fun for everyone. We have this generation’s Christian music, a 6ft and 3ft half pipe skate ramp, a foam pit, velcro wall jump, pool table, air hockey, foosball, skating, video games, basketball and volleyball area. A snack bar is available with drinks, nachos, frito pies, candy, chips, etc. It is a controlled environment with adult supervision with lots of love and a short time of a small seeded truth of God into their lives.
• Website — The church now has a website address which entails what is going on inside the church, the ministries of the church and gives you information of The Word of God Church. You can visit the website at www.swwordofGod.com . (under construction)
• Summertime Camp
- 11-17 year-old Extreme Camp — an experience that will change their lives, a camp that reaches them at their level, setting the love of God on fire inside of them. It’s a blast!
- 5-10 year-olds camp is suited at the level to where it keeps their attention — fun and an unforgettable experience with God.