The Sweetwater FFA experienced success at the Area FFA Judging Contests, qualifying seven out of eight teams for State. In the coming weeks, these seven teams, along with three additional teams — who don't have an Area qualifying event, but go straight to State — will go to their respective State contests.
On Wednesday, April 10, the Land Judging Team, consisting of Trey Harvey, Jay Lomas, Stephen May and Creed Kinsey, along with the Floriculture team, made up of members Shelby Cason, Maty Montgomery, Keyli Turner and Morgan Browning, travelled to Stephenville for Area CDE (Career Development Event aka Judging Contests) at Tarleton State University. Both teams qualified for State, with the Floriculture team placing first in Area and the Land team placing fourth. Individually, Morgan Browning placed first, Shelby Cason placed second, Maty Montgomery was third, and Keyli Turner was fifth. In the Land contest, Stephen May placed fourth individually and Trey Harvey was a very close fifth.
On Saturday, April 13, six more teams travelled to Lubbock for their Area CDE at Texas Tech University. Five of these six teams qualified for State. State Qualifying teams were:
• Meats: First in Area (fourth in the overall contest, which included Area 1, 4, and 5 in addition to Area 2)
• Sean Morrow — First place individual;
• Cody Chapman — Second place individual;
• Kyle Lambert — Third place individual;
• Mackensey Hayes — Fourth place individual.
There were 33 individuals competing on nine teams.
• Milk Quality and Products — Second in Area (Third in overall contest)
• Blake Young — Fourth place individual;
• Morgan Whitley — Seventh place individual;
• Sage Nelsen — Eighth place individual;
• Shelby Sutton — 12th place individual.
• Poultry — Third in Area (Third in overall contest).
• Leah Warren — Third place individual;
• Andrew Smith — Fourth place individual;
• Colton Scott;
• Austin Wedin;
• Wool — 10th in Area.
• Marc Butler — Third place individual;
• Cameryn Jones — 16th place individual;
• Ty Crain.
• Farm Business Management — First in Area.
• Cody Chapman — First place individual.
• Leah Warren — Second place individual.
• Colton Scott — 10th place individual.
• Livestock — Sixth in Area.
• Caroline Brennan — 12th place individual;
• Kaegan Jeffrey — 15th place individual;
• Kathleen Campbell;
• Larissa Locklar.