Buzzi Unicem USA, Maryneal Cement Plant will be holding a community event that they have named the first annual “Help the Heroes: Buzzi Bash.”
This event will benefit the five volunteer fire departments in Nolan County (Maryneal, Nolan, Blackwell, Roscoe and Lake Sweetwater) with all of the proceeds divided equally among the departments.
"We recognize the great value that the services of our area volunteer fire departments give to every individual in our community," said Buzzi representatives. "During the fires of the summer of 2011, they worked tirelessly to protect us all from flames. We also recognize their financial need and we want to do something to thank them for their service."
The event will be held on Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013, from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. at Newman Park in Sweetwater and will include a cook-off and activities for the whole family including a home run derby, dunking booth, horse shoe tournament and more. Barbecue plates will also be available for purchase for $7.
There will also be a silent auction with many items to be bid on including a cutting torch donated by James Rhoades, a tool kit donated by Alamo Iron Works, a 50-quart Yeti Tundra cooler donated by A.J. Weller Corporation, three heavy duty socket sets donated by Price Diesel including a 1/2-inch drive socket set, a 3/8 inch metric socket set and a 3/8-inch standard socket set and two one-day rentals for a skid-steer donated by Abilene Rental Center.
Cook-off teams will compete for trophies and bragging rights, with one team being crowned the grand champion. All teams must be sponsored by a local business and multiple teams are allowed. The entry fee to compete is $200 along with one fully cooked brisket. Categories will include beef brisket, pork ribs, chicken and pork with special category rib eye steak.
Entry forms can be e-mailed to BuzziBash@gmail.com  or faxed to 325-288-4413. Those entering are asked to make checks payable to Buzzi Bash. Applications and payments may also be sent to Buzzi Bash Cook-Off, P.O. Box 1639, Sweetwater, TX 79556. Entry forms can be picked up at the Sweetwater Reporter or can be received by e-mailing BuzziBash@gmail.com . Registration is complete once application and payment are received. Space may be limited and this is an all weather event. No refunds will be granted once registration is complete.
Contest Rules and Regulations
This contest will utilize the Kansas City Barbecue Society's system of rules and scoring, however, this event is not sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society.
1. All decisions and interpretations of the rules are at the discretion of the contest organizer.
2. Each team shall designate a head cook and as many assistants as deemed necessary. Head cooks may only cook for their designated team.
3. All cooking and seasoning of contest meats must be done onsite. Teams may not share cooking space or devices.
4. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas or electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric may be used to start a fire provided that the meat is not in the cooking device. Electric accessories such as rotisseries and forced air fans are allowed. Open fire pits are not permitted.
5. All contest meats will be inspected by the contest meat inspector. Once the meats have been inspected, they shall not leave the cooking site. The cooking process shall not begin until after the meats have been inspected by the official meat inspector. All competition meats shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed.
6. Parboiling, deep frying and souse-vide cooking competition meat is not allowed. Violations of this rule will results in a score of one on all criteria by all six judges.
7. Meats shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in such a way to make it identifiable. Violations of this rule will results in a score of one on all criteria by all six judges.
8. Four main meat categories will be used to determine grand champion. The four main meat categories are:
Chicken: Can included Cornish Game Hen and Kosher.
Pork Ribs: Ribs shall include the bone. Country ribs are prohibited.
Pork: Defined as Boston Butt Roast, Picnic or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five pounds. Pork must be cooked whole and shall not be separated during the cooking process. Once separated the meat should not be returned to the cooker.
Beef Brisket: May be whole brisket, flat or point. Corned beef brisket is not allowed.
9. Judging will begin at noon on Saturday. The categories will be judged in the following order:
Chicken — Noon
Pork Ribs — 12:45 p.m.
Pork — 1:30 p.m.
Brisket —2:15 p.m.
Rib Eye Steak — 3 p.m.
Turn in times will be confirmed at the cooks meeting. The allowable turn in time is five minutes before and five minutes after the posted turn in time. Entries received after this time shall be given a score of one for all criteria.
10. Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of green lettuce, curly or flat leaf parsley and cilantro. Improper garnish shall receive a score of one for all criteria.
11. Sauce is optional. If used, it should be applied directly to the meat and shall not be pooled or puddled in the container. Chunky sauce is not allowed. Sauce violations shall receive a score of one for appearance from all judges.
12. Entries must be submitted in an numbered container approved by the contest organizer, with the number on the top of the container.
13. The container shall not be marked in any way to make it identifiable. Foil, tooth picks, skewers, foreign material or stuffing are prohibited in the container. Marked entries will receive a score of one for all criteria.
14. Each contestant will submit at least six portions of meat in an approved container. Chicken, pork and brisket can be submitted chopped, sliced, pulled or diced, as long as there is enough for six judges. Ribs must be submitted bone in. Judges may not cut, slice or shake apart to separate pieces. If there is not enough meat for each judge, the judges with no sample will score a one for all criteria, and the other judges will change the appearance score to one.
Everyone is invited to attend the event. Buzzi Unicem, USA intends to make this a yearly fundraiser taking place every Labor Day weekend.