Important new requirements for agricultural and timber tax exemptions

Big Country Electric Cooperative would like to make its members aware that beginning January 1, 2012, Texans wanting to claim an exemption from Texas sales and use taxes on electricity and other items used in agricultural and timber operations must provide a registration number to the supplier on Texas Agriculture Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification Form 01-924.House Bill 268 adding this requirement passed during the 2011 legislative session. The Texas Comptroller’s Office issues the registration number and those wanting to claim the exemption must fill out an application. Registration numbers must be renewed every four years. Applicants can apply online at or request a paper application to mail in by calling 1-800-252-5555 or downloading a copy from the comptroller’s website, generic exemption certificate, Form 01-339, cannot be used to claim the agricultural exemption. Blanket exemption certificates issued to suppliers on the old form must be replaced with new certificates for purchases made on or after January 1, 2012. Accounts that do not have the new required form on file will be subject to taxation. For more information, go to